When it comes to children’s education, there are various styles of learning and teaching. From the imaginative play to sensory play, there are many vivacious ways to impart valuable skills to the young ones.
Another exciting type of play that can help children interactively learn about the world is discovery play. It can offer a plethora of benefits as it encourages kids to develop holistically and possess a wider range of skill sets that will help them immensely in their adult life.
Let us begin by having a comprehensive understanding of discovery learning, followed by its benefits.
What is Discovery Play and Learning?
- Discovery play involves understanding the functions of the world. It is a freeform kind of play and is characterized by minimal teacher explanations and involves solving problems by discovering various solutions. It also involves minimal memorization and repetition.
- It encourages experimentation and is aimed towards sparking creativity in children. This also makes it more enjoyable for kids. They look forward to learning as it is more fun and spontaneous.
- Even though discovery play might sound self-directed, the teacher’s participation is necessary. However, the instructions that they provide to kids must be inquiry-based rather than commands.
- A key aspect of discovery learning is discovery toys and play equipment. They play a huge role in developing children as they are designed to engage them in play and help them make discoveries.
What are the Benefits of Discovery Learning?
Discovery learning offers some great benefits that can help in the development of children.
- It promotes independence, autonomy, and confidence and encourages active engagement from kids. It also significantly develops problem-solving skills, imagination, and creativity.
- What makes this type of play so effective is that it provides an experience that is tailor-made for each child. This one-of-a-kind experience can prove to be a vital aspect of nurturing inquiring minds and unfolding the child’s inner genius.
- According to research, discovery learning can have positive effects on academic results as well. This is because a child’s ability to retain information can be improved through discovery play.
- It also plays a role in improving memory as kids are more likely to recall concepts and knowledge that they discovered on their own.
What is a Discovery Area?
- A discovery area is a learning environment or play area that is designed for children to investigate and explore. They are one of the most important aspects of the discovery learning process.
- It is in these areas that kids can experiment, learn, observe, solve problems and handle play equipment. They learn through interacting and predicting the results of their actions.
- They develop vital life skills such as learning how to communicate, construct, plan and gathering information. They also learn how their body senses work and how the surrounding reacts to their input.
Discovery play is an essential aspect of a child’s education and we encourage parents, teachers, and schools to implement them as a part of the curriculum.
If you are looking for experts to help you design a discovery play area then get in touch with ArihantPLAY. We have a consultative and bespoke approach when it comes it designing play areas and offer an extensive range of outstanding products that children can safely enjoy.