If you’re a parent in the post-smartphone-epidemic era, then you know how strenuous of a task it is to convince children to play outdoors instead of being glued to their screens. Children, on average, spend a lot more time in front of a screen as compared to outdoors. Most children find it a lot more fun to play a video game rather than play outdoors.
And as you may know, excessive time in front of a screen can cause a range of problems growing up. Also, lack of physical exercise can be linked to illnesses like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, and more. As parents, we need to introduce children to a few outdoor games that will keep them engaged and begging for more time at the playground.
Here is a list of games to help you out:
1. Tag, You’re It!
This is an incredibly fun game your children will love to play. What makes this game so enjoyable is that children get to run around and chase each other.
How to play:
- At least three players are needed to play tag, you’re it!
- One of the players becomes the scapegoat either by a toss or mutual agreement. Then, the scapegoat counts till 10 while other players spread out.
- After the counting, the scapegoat needs to run and tag another person. Tagging can be done by patting the back; tapping elsewhere on the body will not be counted.
- The player who has been tagged now becomes the scapegoat and must tag another person.
- The game ends when all players have been tagged at least once. The player who has been tagged the most loses the game.
Hopscotch is a game that is played by children in every nook and corner of the country. However, our version has a twist to it to keep your young ones outdoors and engaged.
How to play:
- Using chalk draw the hopscotch pattern on the floor. In case you’re playing on the sand, use a stick for the outline.
- Number each box on the pattern from 1 to 9 or 10.
- All players must take turns to throw a small pebble into one of the number boxes.
- Each player hops from one box to the next as the game progresses.
- The player that reaches the box with the highest number wins.
Our version of this game adds a bit of a twist that makes this game more challenging. The player who reaches the highest-numbered box must draw another box with a higher number. This makes it more interesting and difficult for other players to win. Your child can also add as many numbers as they wish.
3. Dog and the Bone
This is another exciting game that keeps children on their toes. It is a lot of fun for anyone who plays it. This game is designed to build coordination and boost team spirit.
How to play:
- The players need to divide into two teams. Both teams must stand facing each other a few meters apart.
- A ball or a large toy should be placed between the teams at an equal distance.
- One member from each team comes forward and tries to capture the item placed at the center.
- Whoever gets the item first, wins the round. The team with the most winning players becomes the winner of the game.
With these games, you can ensure that your children will have a great time at the playground on your next visit. What’s more, playing outdoors offers a host of benefits essential for the growth of your child. If you’re looking for a children’s play equipment manufacturers for your home or community playground, feel free to connect with our team at ArihantPLAY.